|Northwest Nebraska History|
In 1872-73, two Indian agencies were established on the White River in what is now Dawes County. Fort Robinson was built to protect the Red Cloud Agency and played an important role in the Indian Wars of the 1870's. Sioux War Chief Crazy Horse was killed at Fort Robinson in 1877.
Camp Sheridan was established in what is now Sheridan County in 1874 to protect the Spotted Tail Agency. It was abandoned and dismantled in 1881, but the site is easy accessible.
With the removal of the Sioux Indians to South Dakota in 1877, several very large cattle outfits came into the area. Large roundups were conducted annually until the railroads arrived in 1885, and an influx of homesteaders took up most of the available land. Dawes County is still cattle country and very much reflects its heritage of Native Americans, fur traders, cowboys, and frontier soldiers. The buffalo herd and the Texas Longhorn cattle found at Fort Robinson State Park are reminders of northwest Nebraska's vivid history.