2. Olde Main Street Inn - 115 Main Street
At the far end of the block, the three-story building on the west side of Main Street is the Olde Main Street Inn, a bed-and-breakfast, originally built as the Hotel Chadron in 1890 by the OHanlon family.
The OHanlon family spared no expense in the building of the hotel. A portion of the gold and green wallpaper covered with gazebos, sailing ships, and flora remains to remind us of the early days of elegance, when Brussels carpeting covered the
staircases and guests enjoyed the luxury of marble washstands in each room.
The hotel took on historical significance when it was the headquarters for General Nelson Miles during the Wounded Knee Massacre in late December 1890. The Hotel Chadron was sold by the OHanlons in the early 1900s; it then became the Railroads Y.M.C.A., where it was hoped that young men could escape the evils of city life.
In 1969, the building was sold to the present owners. Four generations of family members care for and maintain this business.