5. First National Bank of Chadron - 2nd & Main Street
The First National moved to a new location across the street to the south of the old Chadron State Bank in 1895,
and was located there when it was taken over by Charles Franklin Coffee, a successful western Nebraska cattle
rancher and banker.
In 1917, Coffee, in cooperation with B.F.Pitman, built a new banking facility across the street to the east. The Coffee Family operated this bank until the late 1960s. The First National is the longest continuously operating business under the same name in Chadron and has, to date, occupied three sides of this key intersection.
There was a competition for the main street of Chadron between Main and 2nd Street, with Main being the winner, due in large part to the construction of the large brick and stone buildings you can see on the west side of the street and south from the corner. Over the years these buildings have drawn key businesses to locate along Main Street.