8. United States Post Office - 278 Main Street
The large building on the south end of the block is properly known as the Federal Building. It serves Chadron as a post office, but also has a courtroom on the upper floor as well as office space.
The first talk of the building started as early as 1916 with congressman Moses P. Kinkaid working to place projects in his congressional district. Kinkaid was well known for his work with revised homestead laws that were very important to western Nebraska. The building was finally completed in 1918.
A good example of Georgian Revival, this building is symmetrical, its
foundation forming a clean pedestal from which spring two stories divided by horizontal molding and topped off with an open and closed balustrade. The windows are multi-paned sash, typical of Colonial Georgian, with straight arches
and keystoned headers. The doorway is flanked by pilasters (rectangular columns) and topped by a transom window. A decorative cartouche (scroll-like tablet with inscription) is centered over the door.