17. 828 Main Street
This stately Queen Anne is one of several Victorian homes that have been restored in the community.
The home was originally built in 1905 by Judge Ernest Slattery of the District Court for his wife and five children. The Judge
passed away in 1923 and Mrs. Slattery died in 1948.
The home remained with the eldest son, Edmond, occupying the premises until his death is 1976. Although the gingerbread on the home was added in more recent years, all other aspects to the home are original, including the side portico and interior woodwork.
18. Mari Sandoz Heritage Center - CSC Campus, 1000 Main Street
You are now walking onto the Chadron State College Campus, formerly known as the Nebraska State Normal College.
The third building on the right is the former Normal College Library. The librarian, Mrs. Anna B. Bright, described
the new library as, a building that is an ornament of the campus and a credit to the growing State Normal College.
The large, marble columns at the entrance were designed to be similar to the new entrance of the administration building (directly to the east). The architect, J.D. Stitt, of Norfolk, Nebraska, paid special attention to having an efficient lighting system. The library remained in this building until the Rita E. King Library was opened in 1960s.
Since this time the old library has been used as the Media Center, the Print Shop,
classrooms, and offices. The building is currently being restored to become the Mari Sandoz Heritage Center which will display Ms. Sandoz works and memorabilia donated by her family, and will also be a research center for other