21. The Coffee Block - 427 Chadron Avenue
Ermine Coffee, the daughter of W.A. Carmean, the president of the Citizens State Bank of Chadron, moved to town in
1911 and built a home at 427 Chadron Avenue.
This two and one-half storied house has a twin gable arrangement on
the east consisting of a bay window capped by a gable that parallels the angle of the main roof gable. The shed-roofed dormer admits light to a third story and matches the shed-roofed porch below.
An attractive carriage house is recessed to the rear of the lot to give balance to the tall Victorian house. This large house was later owned by A.W. Crites, early Chadron lawyer and business associate of the Coffee family.
22. 411 Chadron Avenue
The finest home in Chadron was built at the north end of this block by the Richards family. In 1900, successful rancher and Harrison banker, Charles Franklin Coffee, bought stock in the bank and took ownership of the house through a trade of 2,000 head of cattle. The large house served as home for Charles, his wife and three children from 1900 until Charles death in 1935.
Later C. F. Coffee, Jr., built a new house on the same site and that house
stands today. This house has the distinction of being perhaps the grandest of statements in the Georgian Revival style in Chadron. This symmetrical mass has its walls, windows, and door decorated with various classical elements,
true to Georgia style.
Giant order pilasters without capitals cut through both stories, dividing this
house vertically into three bays. At the top, the shallow, protruding roof is divided from the wall by a wide cornice containing dentils. A Georgian mansion is usually flanked on each side by two smaller attached or unattached buildings called
dependencies. The garage here acts like one dependency, begging for its counterpart on the other side.