25. Pill Hill - Southeast Corner of 4th and Mears
This home was built in 1889 by a wealthy Wyoming cattleman. The original lawn extended east to Morehead Street. On the south side of the house, the property contained gardens, a large orchard, in addition to a carriage house and barn.
The property was sold at the turn of the 20th Century to Dr. Hargrave and his family and then, later, to a group of physicians who used the property as a clinic and hospital. The west section of the courtyard at the rear of the house was used to add additional rooms for medical care.
One physician who used the property was shot in the small office connecting the original house with the addition, and another resident was found hanged
from the basement rafters. Clinic staff at the time told of seeing apparitions, as did local residents.
The residence was left abandoned during the Depression. It was later purchased in 1943 for $600 by Ursula Gore Cleaver, who remembered the grandeur of the home. The Cleavers took four years to restore the home, but it fell into disrepair again and was converted to apartments in the 1960s. In 1995, the current owners began restoration back to its original Victorian grandeur.