26. The Chadron Record - 248 West 2nd Street
The building that now houses the Chadron Record is one of Chadrons first buildings. It was built in 1888 and still has the original horse trough on the west side of the building.
In its early years, this building had a
variety of purposes; the main floor housed a furniture store, the basement was a mortuary, and the upstairs was a
brothel. The Chadron Mercantile Company occupied the building from 1920 until 1930 when it was purchased by Henkens Equipment. Don Huls of the Chadron Record purchased the building in 1976 from Henkens Equipment.
The Chadron Record is one of the original five papers in this community and currently is the only city newspaper. The building is still in its original condition on the second floor. The wallpaper that covered the walls a century ago can still be seen ornamenting the walls today.